Thursday 13 October 2011

Reflection- Rich Media Tutorial

Reflection - Rich Medial Tutorial
Topic: An audio/ video tutorial Presentation on Dropbox
Title: An overview of Dropbox
Software: Adobe Connect
URL: https://edtech.adobeconnect.com/_a768376479/p1s729zcxbd/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal
Objectives
A the end of the tutorial presentation on Dropbox, learners (colleuges) will be able to use Dropbox to:
  1. Create, store, and share files in the cloud.
  2. Upload files from computer and share them.
  3. Invite participants to collaborate on files shared.
  4. Use Dropbox as a convenient way of sharing content with students in an attempt to minimize the use of photocopied notes in the classroom.

My first comment is that Adobe Connect software is not user- friendly for novice users like me. Although I watched several videos and tutorials before I began to use it I was not able to do a ‘one-shot’ recording. I actually did about seven or eight recordings before acquiring a satisfactory one. Each time I tried to select the various settings, there are always something happening before time; for example, screen sharing, the mic, or recording taking place before I was ready to start the meeting. Honestly, setting up the meeting was cumbersome, mainly because I was unfamiliar with the software and I was uncertain which action I should perform first in order to have a successful recording of the meeting.
Unlike non- visual tutorials such as a podcast where I could read from a script, I was unable to bring a script to the meeting, because reading the script would definitely allow me to loose eye-contact with the audience. Additionally, as I’m not a competent typist I would definitely loose eye-contact, so to alleviate that foreseeable problem , I deliberately did not type much, because I know I will be looking at the keyboard when typing and not in the camera of the webcam.
However, after I became familiar with the interface, it gradually became very intuitive and I was able to navigate around the meeting room and make the necessary changes to various features such as, Pod, host name, web links, screen sharing, start meeting, record meeting, invite participants, block participants, create break out room, etc. I was then able to record a presentation on ‘the overview of Dropbox.’
Now I know exactly what I should do in the future when I go into Adobe Connect meeting; the setting- up of meetings should be fun. I think I will incorporate the software in my classroom to create meaningful tutorials as well as conduct live meetings with my students in order to optimize learning among my students.

When I go back to Adobe Connect in the future, the things that I will do differently are as follows:
  • Familiarize myself better with the software before commencing meetings.
  • Be very restful,calm, and relaxed before I start the meeting.
  • Try to speak more slowly and fluently in order to lessen the occurrence of stuttering at times.
  • Know my topic thoroughly before I enter the meeting.
  • Position my face better in the webcam camera headspot to maintain eye- contact throughout the meeting.
  • Invite at least one participant to each meeting.

No comments:

Post a Comment